Saturday 12 December 2009

Music Makes You Lose Your Otherwise Impecable Composure.

What ho all!
So over the last few days I've had something of an educational and personal revelation. I think I finally know how to do this uni thing now. How annoying is it that it's taken me 2 and 1/3 years to figure it all out?
The answer you're looking for, is very.
Anywho, you're not here to read about my educational musing and movings. You're clearly here to hear about some nonsensical and altogether irrelevant clap-trap!
Instead we're going to talk music. For no other reason than it's something I've not yet touched on/up in this train-of-thought-made-visible that I somewhat lamely call a blog.

So the year's coming to an end, and I think it's probably a good idea to write a little about the music of 2009, what I think of it, and where I stand, as well as some recommendations (for those who care).

First off though, I must tell you that I've rediscovered Nirvana. What on earth made me forget them is beyond me and our top scienticians. They really were just brilliant. And I know it seems a bit clichéd but they changed the face of music in a huge way. Right now the sounds of Heart Shaped Box are impressing me greatly, and also making me slightly angry!
The whole thing reminds me of an Alan Partridge scene:
Alan: So who's your favourite singer then?
Ben who works in travel lodge: Oh er... Anything really. Y'know, Frank Sinatra, Kurt Cobain...
Alan: Who's he?
Ben: Nirvana. Blew his head of with a gun.
Alan: W-why?
Ben: He was depressed.
Alan: Why? Were they not very good?
Ben: No, they were great.
Alan: Oh... Someone should've told him!


Memories...


Anyway: Roundup.
A quick Google search of the top selling artists of 2009 reveals... Some stuff. Probably. I don't know. I didn't do it.
Instead I'm just going to make it up based on what I've heard.

Ok so we have:
Lady GaGa (obviously)
Little Boots
La Roux
Florence And The Machine
JLS.

I don't know anyone else. I think it's somewhat obvious that I don't know modern popular music so I'll just quickly run through my thoughts.

Lady GaGa - Grew on me lots and now has my respect.
Little Boots - Forgot to listen to her, but had heard her album was a bit of a let down.
La Roux - Another grower, but I'll be surprised if she lasts. This year might be it. When you have a single that's as big as he first, it'd be difficult.
Florence And The Machine - Not bad really. Nice voice.
JLS - Get the fuck out.

So that's popular music covered.
Next time: REAL MUSIC!

1 comment:

  1. Okay this is very very poor line up of groups and solo artists, apart from La roux, rest is dog poop, it should say Marv.Man :P

    ReplyDelete